We are often asked, “what should I bring with me on a guest ranch vacation?”. So, in response to that question, here is my list of what to bring along with a few tips for making your guest ranch vacation an unforgettable life experience.
- Long pants or jeans – I prefer to ride in jeans as they usually do not ride up as much and offer more protection.
- Cowboy boots – If you don’t have a pair we have a boot closet full of boots of all shapes and sizes for you to borrow while you are here.
- Tennis shoe or hiking shoe – The ranch is located on 1100 acres which makes for miles of hiking trails for you to explore.
- A hat – A baseball cap, cowboy hat, or other brimmed hats will help to shade your eyes from the sun on your many outdoor excursions. If you don’t want to bring a hat, the ranch gift shop has a wide selection of cowboy hats and baseball caps to purchase.
- Swimsuit – A dip in the outdoor covered hot tub after a long day in the saddle does a body good. Also, we take a day ride to Grouse Creek Falls and a dip in the crisp waters are refreshing on a hot day.
- Water shoes – For that trip to Grouse Creek Falls, it is a good idea to have water shoes as the rocky creek bottom is a challenge to walk in barefoot.
- Raincoat – It is always good to be prepared for all sorts of weather in the Idaho Panhandle.
- Warm weather clothes (shorts, t-shirts, etc) – The average summer temperatures here in Sandpoint, Idaho, are usually in the mid to low 80’s, although it has been known to be warmer.
- Sweatshirt or coat – It will cool down in the evenings and usually a sweatshirt or light coat is most comfortable.
- Bug Spray – In the early summer and early fall, the mosquitoes and gnats come out in the evenings so a little bug spray is a big help.
- A Good Book – Take some time to kick back and read that book you have been meaning to get to. Or, borrow one from the ranch library and read a great western while you are experiencing the West!
A few ranch vacation tips:
- Be honest about your riding experience. We ask about your riding experience to best match you with a horse most appropriate for your riding experience and comfort level.
- Consider making it a tech-free (or at least tech limited) vacation. You will get the most out of a western experience when you can free yourself up from technological distractions.
- Come with a hearty appetite! While you are on your All Inclusive Guest Ranch Adventure, you will be served 3 delicious meals a day to keep you fueled for your outdoor experience. We believe that one important adventure fuel is dessert!
- You may have other questions about trail ride etiquette of a more personal manner. We think this blog post, “Don’t Squat With Your Spurs On…Or Other Places“, may leave you feeling a little more prepared for horseback adventures into the outdoors.
- And finally, my recommendation for where to go on your next guest ranch adventure is, of course, Western Pleasure Guest Ranch.